Dairy Queen: This comes from the DQ abbreviation for “disqualification”.
I tend to do ride challenges in a very different way in which they were intended… thus I’m often “Dairy Queened” on them. Who can forget Coffeeneuring from a few years back? The challenge was to include a lovely coffee stop on your weekend endurance rides and document them with photos and blog entries. I took a bit of editorial license and changed it to “CatFood-enneuring”. I did a series of endurance rides in which I stopped in some lovely, small town in the hinterlands to buy cat food. I never published the results because I figured it might be interpreted as mocking what I actually thought was a lovely challenge worthy of serious effort.
The Challenge at Hand: Errandonneuring. Here’s how Gypsibug designed for the randonneuring community: http://chasingmailboxes.com/2014/03/04/winter-challenge-the-errandonnee-2014-edition/
Basically it motivates people to do errands by bike. Awesome and beautiful quest! This year I decided to take the challenge a bit seriously. I had a busy day and decided to document all of my errands. I went out of my way to do a few extras in my day on the bike to see what I could actually complete.
1) Coffee: (Coffee or Dessert Control) at SoHo near Dupont Circle: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12982200084/
2) National Bike Summit Congressional Ride (Community Meeting Control) near the capitol. http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12981840315
3) Hair Cut (Personal Hygiene Control) in Falls Church, VA: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12981774845
4) Lunch (Breakfast or Lunch Control) Celebrity Delly in Falls Church, VA: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12982222194
5) Mountain Bike Advocacy Meeting (Community Meeting) Falls Church, VA: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12982218994
6) Grocery Store (Grocery Shopping) Falls Church, VA: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12982215884
7) Library to return books (Library or reading Control) Fairfax, VA: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12981794345
8) Cat food shopping (Misc Shopping (Not Groceries)) Falls Church, VA : http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12981792215
9) Bike Shop for tubes and CO2 (Bike Shop Control) Falls Church, VA: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12981930843
10) Are shorts in stock? (Misc Shopping (Not Groceries)) Arlington, VA: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12982203964
10b) Cat Toy Shopping (No control — I already have 2 Misc Shopping Controls) Arlington, VA: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12982192694
11) Commute to work (Work Control) Adams Morgan, DC: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12981914463
12) Dinner (Dinner Control) Adams Morgan, DC: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12981913723
12b) Banking (No Control. I’ve already done 3 Misc Shopping Controls) Falls Church, VA: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12981912893
13) Frozen Yogurt (Coffee or Dessert Control) Falls Church, VA: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12982190074
14) I need WINE after a day like this (Grocery Shopping Control) Falls Church, VA: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/12981769705
Sooooo... After all of that, why am I Dairy Queen on this challenge????? It doesn't start until tomorrow. D'OH!
I really just wanted to show what is possible. :D Here's the route: http://www.strava.com/activities/118344857
Enjoy this challenge. It is wonderful! Go ride your bike!